Rental Housing Ordinance
If you rent out a house, condominium, duplex, or other multi-family complex, a license for rental housing is required by the City. The rental licensing program is designed to ensure that housing units meet appropriate code requirements, to provide the City with better information as to the location of the City’s rental housing stock, and to require adequate tenant screening/management procedures to minimize problem tenant issues.
The City Council has instituted penalties under our rental licensing program for those property owners who fail to obtain a license. Unlicensed properties found to have rental units will subject the property owner to double fees, misdemeanor citations, and possible injunctive action to prevent the continued illegal rental.
Obtaining a License
Obtaining a license is fairly simple. An inspection of the property by a City-licensed inspector is needed, including correction of any hazardous deficiencies. A completed application form and the license fee must also be submitted. New rentals can submit at anytime - fees are not prorated.
Some key criteria are as follows:
- The license and initial inspection will be good July 1, 2017 through June 30, 2019.
- Rental inspections for unlicensed housing units will be conducted by housing inspectors licensed with the City of Little Canada and contracted with by the owner of the rental property. This will be an expense borne by the property owner in addition to the rental license fee.
- Any issues noted by the housing inspector must be resolved and certified by the inspector before a license will be issued.
- Properties previously licensed will not be required to re-inspect their property for this two year license term (July 1, 2017 - June 30, 2019) unless City determines necessary.
- First time application license fees are as follows:
- Single Family Home: $112, plus the cost of inspection
- Multi-Unit Building: $100 per building and $12 per unit, plus cost of inspection
- Condominium: $50 per unit, plus cost of inspection
- Renewal license fees are as follows:
- Single Family Home: $56
- Multi-Unit Building: $50 per building and $6 per unit
- Condominium: $50 per unit
If you own or manage a rental property, please contact the Little Canada City Center at 651-766-4029 to commence your application process or have your questions answered. More information is available within this section of the website.